Today’s episode is all about travel: why travel is important to us, upcoming travel plans (camping! cross country bike trip! Asia!), dream travel destinations, easy on-the-go travel snacks, favorite airport restaurants, our favorite travel blogs, how we budget for travel, our top tips for feeling balanced, safe, and your very best, as well as the sense we most value while traveling. Is it smelling? Is it taste? Listen to find out!
Keeping with the theme of travel, we figured we better eat our favorite travel/on-the-go snacks, including but not limited to:
Hardboiled eggs (with pepper and herbs for Rachel! With Cholula hot sauce for Erinn!)
Tabbouleh Salad (Trader Joe’s brand)
Chips and dip (We tried Saffron Road Baked Lentil Chips, Cucumber Dill flavor with Trader Joe’s Tzatziki Garlic Cucumber dip)
Beef jerky (Nick’s Sticks and Oberto brands are Erinn’s favorite)
Vegetarian jerky (Try Primal Strips!)
Triscuit crackers and almond butter (Barney Butter brand)
Here’s some answers to two of our travel questions!
Favorite Travel blogs:
Beyond the Tent
The Bucketlist Family
Essentials for Staying Balanced (and clean!):
Erinn’s favorite face and body lotion
Rachel’s favorite Cucumber Facial Wipes
We start today’s very lonnnng episode with a savory recipe of skin-on baked spicy sweet potato fries with a cool, Greek yogurt dill dip! Rachel made it, then Erinn ate it.
Today we chat all things kitchen! We take you on a virtual tour of our kitchens, discuss our can’t-live-without cooking utensils, and our kitchen hits and misses! We also chat about saving money at the Le Creuset Outlet store, the simple joy of cottage cheese and crackers, and our dream kitchens if budget wasn’t a factor. Also, send us your name if you made it through this really long episode, and we’ll send you a prize! No joke. We love sending snail mail!
Erinn’s dream kitchen (complete with woman crush, Diane Keaton):
Rachel’s dream kitchen (well, a corner of it):
Here are some of the cooking utensils, food items, and other fun things we discussed this episode:
Rachel’s Ceramic pie dish
Pickle artisans: Pickled Perfection (mushrooms!)
KitchenAid Stand Mixers
Let us know all about the go-to’s in your kitchen- we would love to know and chat more! You can leave a comment on this post below, send us an email, or visit us on social media! Of note, since recording this episode Rachel tested and updated the recipe to yield a crispier fry! Total 5 out of 5 now!
Skin-on Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Greek Yogurt Dill Dip
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt or fine-grain sea salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves, smashed and finely minced (about 2 heaping Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced dill
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub the potatoes, keeping the skin on. Trim ends and slice a small sliver off the bottom of each potato so they will rest flat. Cut lengthwise into discs (about four to five ¼-inch slices) and then cut those into fries (about three to four ¼-inch fries).
- Soak fries in cold water for 45 minutes (this helps fries cook crispier, but can be skipped if short on time).
- If soaked, rinse and dry off. Then in a large bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil until lightly coated. Add brown sugar, paprika, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt. Toss again until evenly coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Lay fries out, spacing them evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the fries and continuing cooking, about 15 minutes. For final 1-2 minutes, flip oven to broil.
- While the fries are finishing, make your dill dip. Mix together the yogurt and other dip ingredients. Taste and add more pepper if desired.
- Eat fries warm with chilled dip
Adapted from Kitchen Treaty
Adapted from Kitchen Treaty
The Table Chat Show http://tablechatshow.com/