Welcome to the very first episode of The Table Chat Show!!! We are Rachel and Erinn- full-time Registered Dietitians, part-time pizza/taco enthusiasts. This is our show where we talk food, nutrition, and whatever else we feel like. We are so excited to FINALLY welcome you to come sit around our table and chat- because the more you know, the more you can eat!
This episode was appropriately recorded on National Registered Dietitian Day back in March. We celebrate ourselves and our show by enjoying some tacos and pizza, our favorite foods, and chatting about who we are as dietitians and humans!
We cover everything today from our eerily similar childhood haircuts to our food philosophies- in which Erinn believes in finding what balance works for you and Rachel believes there is always room for occasionally eating nachos on the floor with your dad.
When we aren’t busy being nutrition professionals, Erinn likes comic books, hanging with her dog and blogging at FoodBalance, while Rachel likes cycling and practicing her food writing skills on Food-ish. We both share a fact few people know about us, Rachel divulging that to make money during the dietetic internship she would work as a princess at birthday parties and Erinn disclosing that her awesome Princess Daisy costume won her free food at a local pizza place (surprise, surprise on choosing pizza, Erinn).
We hope you enjoy this episode! Let us know what you think, what your food philosophy is, and if you also had a bowl cut as a child.
This episode is rated explicit because we both accidentally say the F word once and it was too funny to edit out. Sorry to our moms.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 slices pre-cooked bacon, chopped
- 1.5 cups brussels sprouts, shredded
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2, whole wheat (or sprouted grain) pitas
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh, grated parmesan
- Optional toppings: sliced kalamata olives, banana peppers, pineapple
- In a large pan, over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, and red onion.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add bacon pieces, stir to combine.
- Stir in red pepper flakes.
- Add Brussels sprouts (in a even layer) and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Leaves will become slightly wilted and crispy. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425. Place pitas on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce on each pita.
- Layer 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 the parmesan on each pita.
- Top with half the Brussels sprouts mixture on each pita.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on your preference), slice, and serve!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of paprika
- 1¼ pounds chuck steak
- 6-inch-diameter corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 medium English cucumber, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat it over medium-high heat or preheat the grill.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, salt, and paprika. Rub the spice mix on both sides of the steak.
- Grill or broil the steaks for 5 minutes per side (for medium rare) or until meat finishes at your desired degree of doneness. Remove from the heat and let the meat rest for 5 minutes. Carve into thin slices.
- Warm the tortillas either on the grill for 30 seconds or in the microwave between two moist paper towels for 45 seconds.
- Place carved steak, cabbage, and cilantro in the warm tortillas. Squeeze lime over the top.
- Top the taco off with the salsa, made by combining all the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and tossing gently until mixed. The salsa is best served within an hour of preparing.