In today’s episode we dive deep into the concept of Health at Every Size. We chat the important things: what it means to be healthy at any size, why everyone (including YOU) already has a “beach body,” and role models we admire who are active and healthy with various different body shapes and sizes.
Rachel also made a crazy-delicious, Thai Cashew Quinoa Salad to kick things off. Special thanks to listener Tracey for creating and sharing this recipe! She is a culinary school graduate and you can also connect with her (let’s all be friends!): find the Facebook for her gourmet cookie business here (https://www.facebook.com/PuckerUpPHX), the Facebook for her travel blog here (https://www.facebook.com/twentysomethingtravels), and her travel blog here (http://twentysomethingtravels.tumblr.com/). Seriously, bookmark this recipe (see below) for later. You won’t regret it.
This episode rated explicit for once or twice using the F and S words…potty mouths are back.
Stuff we mentioned in this episode:
Our Intuitive Eating episode (one of our listener faves!)
Our latest Instagram post on clothing sizes
Rachel used this method from The Kitchn to cook the chicken
Flower Child restaurant in Phoenix (check it out if you’re in town!)
Rachel’s favorite body-positive people to follow – Ronda Rousey @rondarousey, Kathryn Budig @kathrynbudig , Dana Falsetti @nolatrees
Erinn’s favorite body-positive people to follow – Healthy is the New Skinny @healthyisthenewskinny, The National Eating Disorder Association @nedastaff, Ashley Graham @ashleygraham, Crystal Renn
Kathryn Budig’s article, “I’m a Strong, Fit Yoga Instructor, and I Still Get Insecure About My Belly.”
Thai Cashew Quinoa Salad
Recipe by listener Tracey, but slightly edited for cooking times and clarity by Rachel Cassinat, MS RD
- Chicken breast tenders (1-1.5 lbs depending on how much chicken you want in the salad)
- Quinoa (2 cups)
- Kale (one large bunch)
- Butternut squash (2 lbs)
- Celery (1/2 cup)
- Onion (1/4 cup)
- Coconut milk (5 cups)
- Peanut butter (3-5 tablespoons)
- Garlic (2 cloves, or garlic powder to taste)
- Cashews (3-5 tablespoons)
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh ginger or ginger powder to taste
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper and ginger to taste. If chicken pieces not even, pound chicken until even before cooking. Place in lightly oiled pan at medium high heat for 1 minute, then flip chicken and close lid on pan- drop heat to low for 10 minutes and do not remove lid. After 10 minutes, turn heat off and leave chicken resting for 10 minutes- again do not remove lid. After 10 minutes, remove from stove, dice and set aside for later.
- Rinse quinoa under water, then cook 2 cups quinoa by placing in sauce pan with 4 cups of coconut milk. Bring to boil, then close lid for 15-20 minutes and cook until quinoa is translucent). Season with salt, pepper and ginger to taste.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash, then partly cook in the microwave for easier cooking in step 4- about 30 sec to 1 minute until more tender.
- In a medium pan, cook the chopped onions, minced garlic, finely diced celery, chopped kale and squash until tender (use butter or coconut oil) -set aside in a bowl for later.
- In the same pan, pour 1 cup of coconut milk, add the peanut butter, Sriracha and additional salt and pepper to taste- bring to a light boil then turn heat to medium low until it thickens, stirring every few minutes. (It may not get super thick, but you just don’t want it totally runny).
- In a large serving bowl, combine quinoa, veggies, ¾ of your chopped cashews (save some for garnish) chicken and sauce. Mix to combine and add any salt, pepper, ginger or Sriracha to taste.
- Scoop a serving into a bowl and top with chopped cilantro and chopped cashews. Enjoy!!!
The Table Chat Show https://tablechatshow.com/